- Makes: 12 servings
- Serving Size: 3/4cup
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 24
olive oil or canola oil
sliced fresh shiitake and/or button mushrooms
sliced green onions
reduced-sodium soy sauce
snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
snipped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
dry whole grain bread cubes*
coarsely shredded carrots (6 medium)
reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or just until tender, stirring occasionally. Add green onions for the last 1 minute of cooking. Remove from heat. Stir in soy sauce, oregano, rosemary, and pepper.
- In a very large bowl, combine mushroom mixture, bread cubes, and carrots. Drizzle with enough of the broth to moisten.
- Place stuffing in an ungreased 2- to 2 1/2-quart au gratin or baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until heated through. (Or to use to stuff a 10- to 12-pound turkey, prepare as above, except use 3/4 to 1 cup broth instead of 1 to 1 1/4 cups broth. Spoon lightly into turkey neck and body cavities; do not pack. Internal temperature of stuffing should register 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.) Makes 12 (3/4-cup) servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Make-ahead directions: Prepare as directed through step 2. Place in a 2- to 2 1/2-quart au gratin or baking dish. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake casserole, covered, for 60 to 70 minutes or until heated through. (For safety reasons, do not make stuffing ahead if planning to use for stuffing a turkey.)
- *To dry whole grain bread: Cut enough slices of whole grain bread into 1/2-inch cubes to equal 8 cups (10 to 12 slices). Spread out in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in 300 degrees oven about 15 minutes or until dry and crisp, stirring twice. Cool. You should have about 6 cups dried bread cubes.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 12
PER SERVING: 130 cal., 3 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 225 mg sodium, 24 g carb. (4 g fiber, 4 g sugars), 4 g pro.