Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 1/2cup
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 31
Nonstick cooking spray
refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
sugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
evaporated low-fat milk
dried French bread cubes**
semisweet chocolate pieces
powdered sugar (optional)
- Coat a 1-1/2-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl combine egg product, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk in evaporated milk. Gently stir in bread cubes and chocolate pieces. Pour mixture into prepared cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. If no heat setting is available, cook for 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Turn off cooker. Let bread pudding stand 30 minutes to 1 hour to cool slightly before serving. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving. Serve warm.
- *Sugar Substitute: Choose from Splenda® Granular or Sweet 'N Low® bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar. PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 173 cal., 24 g carb., 9 g sugar, Exchanges: 1 starch, .5 other carb, 1 fat
- *Sugar Substitute: Carb Choices: 1.5
- ** To make dry bread cubes, cut 3 ounces French bread into cubes (should have about 3 cups). Spread cubes in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 300 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry, stirring twice; cool.
- Tip: For easy cleanup, line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 202 cal., 6 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 9 mg chol., 143 mg sodium, 31 g carb. (1 g fiber, 17 g sugars), 7 g pro.