Choose-a-Fruit Tropical Sherbet
- Makes: 16 servings
- Serving Size: 1/2cup
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 21
sugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 1 cup sugar
unsweetened pineapple juice or orange juice
chopped peeled mango, kiwifruit, or strawberry papaya
finely shredded lime peel or lemon peel
lime juice or lemon juice
yellow, green, or red or orange** food coloring (optional)
Mango, kiwifruit, or strawberry papaya (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and unflavored gelatin. Stir in pineapple juice. Cook and stir until sugar and gelatin dissolve. Remove from heat.
- Place chopped mango, kiwifruit, or papaya in a blender or food processor; cover and blend or process until pureed.
- In a large bowl, stir together pureed fruit, gelatin mixture, buttermilk, lime peel, and lime juice. If desired, add food coloring to tint desired color (green for kiwifruit, yellow for mango, or pink or orange for papaya). Cover with foil or plastic wrap and chill mixture about 4 hours or until chilled completely.
- Transfer mixture to a 4- to 5-quart ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturers directions. If desired, ripen for 4 hours.*** If desired, garnish with additional mango, kiwifruit, or strawberry papaya. Makes 16 (about 1/2 cup) servings
- Freezer directions: Prepare as directed through step 3. Transfer mixture to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish or freezer container. Cover; freeze for 4 1/2 to 5 hours or until almost firm. Break mixture into small chunks; transfer to a large chilled bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes or until smooth but not melted. Return to dish or container. Cover and freeze about 4 hours more or until firm. Makes 16 (about 1/2 cup) servings.
- *Sugar Substitutes: Choose from Splenda® Granular, Equal Spoonful® or packets, or Sweet 'N Low® bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1 cup sugar.
- *Sugar Substitutes: PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 44 cal., 10 g carbo. Exchanges: 0.5 fruit. Carb choices: 0.5
- **Test Kitchen Tip: If you don't have orange food coloring, use 1 drop red food coloring and 2 drops yellow food coloring.
- ***Test Kitchen Tip: Ripening or hardening homemade sherbet isn't essential but it improves the texture and helps keep the sherbet from melting too quickly during eating.
- ***Test Kitchen Tip:
- ***Test Kitchen Tip: To ripen in a traditional-style ice cream freezer, after churning, remove the lid and dasher and cover the top of the freezer can with waxed paper or foil. Plug the hole in the lid with a small piece of cloth; replace the lid. Pack the outer freezer bucket with enough ice and rock salt to cover the top of the freezer can (use 1 cup salt for each 4 cups ice). Ripen about 4 hours.
- ***Test Kitchen Tip:
- ***Test Kitchen Tip: When using an ice cream freezer with an insulated freezer bowl, transfer the ice cream to a covered freezer container and ripen by freezing in your regular freezer about 4 hours (or follow the manufacturers recommendations).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 16
PER SERVING: 90 cal., 1 mg chol., 20 mg sodium, 21 g carb. 2 g pro.