Citrus Shrimp with Black Rice
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 3 ounces cooked shrimp, 1/2 cup rice, + 1 cup arugula each
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 29
uncooked black rice
fresh or frozen peeled and deveined medium shrimp, thawed
Orange wedges (optional)
- Remove 1 teaspoon zest and squeeze 1/2 cup juice from the 2 oranges; set aside. In a medium saucepan bring the water, rice, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of the orange zest and 1/4 cup of the orange juice.
- Meanwhile, rinse shrimp; pat dry. For marinade, in a medium bowl combine oil, garlic, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, 1/4 cup orange juice, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp mixture; cook and stir 5 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp from skillet. For sauce, bring marinade to simmering. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until marinade is slightly thickened.
- To serve, spoon warm rice and shrimp over arugula and drizzle with sauce. If desired, serve with orange wedges.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 290 cal., 9 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 183 mg chol., 579 mg sodium, 29 g carb. (2 g fiber, 4 g sugars), 27 g pro.