Classic French Dips
- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich and about 1/2 cup cooking liquid
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 39
sweet onion (such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and separated into rings
2 1/2 -
fresh beef brisket or boneless beef bottom round roast
dried thyme, marjoram, or oregano, crushed
14 1/2 -
lower-sodium beef broth
whole grain baguette-style bread, cut crosswise into 6 pieces and split in half horizontally
- Place onion in a 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker. Trim fat from brisket. If necessary, cut brisket to fit in cooker. Place brisket on top of onion. Sprinkle with garlic, thyme, and pepper. Pour beef broth and Worcestershire sauce over all in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours for brisket or 8 to 9 hours for bottom round or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours for brisket or 4 to 4 1/2 hours for bottom round.
- Remove meat from cooker, reserving cooking liquid in cooker. Thinly slice meat across the grain, removing visible fat as you slice. Using a slotted spoon, remove onion from cooker. Place 3 to 4 ounces sliced brisket on top of each bread bottom. Top each with about 1/3 cup onions. Add bread tops. Skim fat from cooking liquid in cooker; pass liquid for dipping sandwiches (about 1/2 cup per serving).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 339 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 45 mg chol., 453 mg sodium, 39 g carb. (9 g fiber, 6 g sugars), 33 g pro.