Frozen Pineapple Right-Side-Up Torte
- Makes: 12 servings
- Serving Size: 1 wedge
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 26
Nonstick cooking spray
ladyfingers (12), split
pineapple slices (juice pack)
sugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 2/3 cup sugar
frozen sugar-free whipped dessert topping, thawed
fresh or canned pitted cherries
- Lightly coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Cut enough of the ladyfingers in half crosswise to line the edges of the pan. Arrange the remaining ladyfingers in the bottom of the pan, tearing into pieces to fit as needed. Set aside.
- Remove 6 pineapple slices from the can; reserve to garnish the torte or for another use. Cut up the pineapple slices remaining in the can, reserving juice. In a blender or food processor, combine cut up pineapple slices and the reserved juice. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- Pour 1 inch of water into the bottom of a double boiler; bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, in the top of the double boiler (off the heat), combine eggs and sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Stir in pineapple mixture and lime juice. Place the top of the double boiler over boiling water (upper pan should not touch water). Cook, beating constantly with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 3 to 5 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the mixture registers 160 degrees F.
- Remove the top of the double boiler from the heat and continue to beat with the electric mixer on medium to high speed about 10 minutes more or until the mixture has cooled to room temperature. Using a whisk, fold in the whipped topping until no white streaks remain.
- Slowly pour the pineapple mixture into the prepared pan. If any of the ladyfingers float, gently push them down into the mixture until they're coated with pineapple mixture. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and freeze for 8 to 24 hours.
- To serve, let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Garnish with the reserved pineapple slices and the cherries. Remove sides of the springform pan; cut into wedges. Makes 12 servings (1 wedge per serving)
- *Sugar Substitutes: Choose from Splenda® Granular, Equal® Spoonful or packets, or Sweet'N Low® bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 2/3 cup sugar.
- *Sugar Substitutes: PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 105 cal., 16 g carb. Exchanges: 0 other carb. Carb Choices: 1.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 12
PER SERVING: 143 cal., 3 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 104 mg chol., 40 mg sodium, 26 g carb. (1 g fiber, 20 g sugars), 4 g pro.