Tips to Lower Blood Sugar
- « Prev
- Next »
- 1 of 16 |
Stick to a Healthful Meal Plan
Following a healthful meal plan is one of the most important measures you can take to keep your blood glucose under control. In years past, people with diabetes were expected to follow a strict diet that had little regard for individual likes or dislikes. Today, diabetes experts realize that a one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work and isn't necessary.
Work with your dietitian to design a meal plan that reflects your own needs and preferences. Your plan should:
- Be nutritionally balanced to include carbohydrates, protein, and fat, as well as vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Include fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Reduce the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol you eat.
- Minimize the amount of salt and sodium you eat.
- Help you maintain or achieve an ideal weight.
- Include foods that you enjoy.