"Fried" Onion Rings
- Makes: 6 servings
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 10
Nonstick cooking spray
refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
Cajun seasoning, blackened seasoning, or barbecue seasoning
sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices and separated into rings
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line an extra-large baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray;* set aside. In a shallow dish, combine egg and buttermilk. In a small bowl, combine panko and Cajun seasoning. Transfer about one-third of the panko mixture to a shallow dish.
- Dip the onion rings, one at a time, in buttermilk mixture, turning to coat and allowing excess to drip off. Dip onion rings in panko mixture, turning to coat. Place onion rings in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet (you can place smaller onion rings inside larger ones as long as they don't touch). Add more of the panko mixture to the shallow dish as needed.**
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the onions are tender and the coating is crisp and golden.
- * If you don't have an extra-large baking sheet, use two large baking sheets and reverse the positions of the sheets halfway through baking.
- ** Once the crumbs become wet, they do not cling to the onions as well so use only part of the panko mixture at a time.
Classy Green Bean Casserole
haricot verts or tender young green beans
reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
ground black pepper
light dairy sour cream
- In another large saucepan, combine cut-up reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel); fat-free milk; garlic, minced; and ground black pepper. Cook over low heat until melted and smooth, whisking constantly; remove from heat. Whisk in light dairy sour cream. Add green beans; toss to coat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Trim haricot verts or tender young green beans. If desired, halve haricot verts or green beans. In a covered large saucepan, cook beans in a small amount boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside. (Or, use two 16-ounce packages frozen French-style green beans, cooked according to package directions.)
- Spread green bean mixture in a 2-quart au gratin dish or rectangular baking dish. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring once halfway through baking. Top with half of the "Fried" Onion Rings before serving. Makes 10 (about 2/3 cup) side-dish servings.
- Per serving: 88 cal., 4 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 13 mg chol., 79 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 4 g pro.
- Daily Values: 14% vit. A, 18% vit. C, 7% calcium, 5% iron.
- Exchanges: 1.5 vegetable, 1 fat.
- Carb Choice: 0.5.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 53 cal., 58 mg sodium, 10 g carb. (1 g fiber, 3 g sugars), 3 g pro.