Roasted Tomato Salsa
- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: 1/4cup
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 6
onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
fresh jalapeno chile peppers, halved and seeded*
plum tomatoes, quartered and seeded
snipped fresh cilantro
finely shredded lime peel
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a 15x10x1-inch baking pan, arrange onion, chile peppers, and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil; stir to coat. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are lightly charred, stirring once. Remove from baking pan.
- Add plum tomatoes to baking pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Let vegetables stand until cool enough to handle.
- Chop roasted vegetables. In a medium bowl, combine chopped vegetables, cilantro, lime peel, lime juice, and salt. Serve warm or chilled. Makes 2 cups (eight 1/4-cup servings).
- *Test Kitchen Tip: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 41 cal., 2 g total fat 150 mg sodium, 6 g carb. (1 g fiber), 1 g pro.