Red Beans and Rice
- Makes: 10 servings
- Serving Size: 1/2cup rice and 2/3-cup bean servings
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 52
dry red beans or dry red kidney beans
meaty smoked pork hock
medium onion, chopped
medium green sweet pepper, chopped
stalks celery, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
hot cooked brown or white rice
- Rinse beans. In a large Dutch oven, combine beans and 6 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or place beans in 6 cups water in Dutch oven. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.)
- Drain and rinse beans. Return beans to Dutch oven. Add pork hock, onion, sweet pepper, celery, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, garlic, and 6 cups fresh water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. (Add additional water during cooking, if necessary.)
- Remove pork hock. When cool enough to handle, cut meat off bone; coarsely chop meat. Discard bone.
- Return chopped meat to Dutch oven. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes more or until a thick gravy forms, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves. Stir in salt. Serve the bean mixture over hot cooked rice. Makes 10 (1/2-cup rice and 2/3-cup bean) servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 10
PER SERVING: 278 cal., 2 g total fat 4 mg chol., 166 mg sodium, 52 g carb. (14 g fiber), 15 g pro.