Breakfast Polenta Three Ways
- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: 1/2cup
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 14
Nonstick cooking spray
water or reduced-sodium chicken broth
stone-ground cornmeal or grits (yellow or white)
- Line a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Coat liner with cooking spray. In a large bowl combine the water, cornmeal, and salt. Transfer mixture to the prepared cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours, stirring once halfway through cooking. Turn off cooker. Let stand, covered, for 30 minutes before serving, stirring occasionally.
- Veggie Brunch Polenta: Prepare as directed using chicken broth and yellow cornmeal. Stir in 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme with the cornmeal. While the polenta stands, in a large nonstick skillet cook 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms; 1/2 cup halved zucchini slices; 2 cloves garlic, minced; and dash salt in 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in 1 cup halved grape tomatoes; heat through. Top each serving with vegetable mixture and 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese (chevre) or feta cheese.
- Veggie Brunch Polenta: Nutrition analysis per serving: 103 calories, 5 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 5% Vitamin A, 10% Vitamin C, 489 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 5% iron Exchanges: 1 starch, .5 vegetable Carb Choice: 1
- Chile, Cheese, and Scrambled Egg Grits: Prepare as directed using chicken broth and grits (or if desired, substitute reduced-sodium vegetable broth for the chicken broth). Stir in 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese; one 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained; 2 cloves garlic, minced; and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin with the grits. After polenta is done cooking (before standing), in a small bowl beat 4 eggs and dash salt with a fork; pour over grits. Let stand, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring twice.
- Chile, Cheese, and Scrambled Egg Grits: Nutrition analysis per serving: 159 calories, 9 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 6 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 5% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 611 mg sodium, 10% calcium, 6% iron Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium fat meat Carb Choice: 1
- Bacon-Tomato Polenta: Prepare as directed using chicken broth and yellow cornmeal, except reduce salt to 1/4 teaspoon. Stir in 1 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes (2 medium) and 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese with the cornmeal. Before serving, sprinkle with 1/4 cup cooked and crumbled turkey bacon and 2 tablespoons chopped green onion (1).
- Bacon-Tomato Polenta: Nutrition analysis per serving: 97 calories, 5 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 5% Vitamin A, 7% Vitamin C, 475 mg sodium, 4% calcium, 4% iron Exchanges: 1 starch, .5 lean meat Carb Choice: 1
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 64 cal., 151 mg sodium, 14 g carb. (1 g fiber), 1 g pro.