Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Brownies
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- cal.(kcal): 151
- Fat, total(g): 8
- chol.(mg): 6
- sat. fat(g): 3
- carb.(g): 17
- Monosaturated fat(g): 4
- Polyunsaturated fat(g): 1
- sugar(g): 10
- pro.(g): 3
- vit. A(IU): 194
- Thiamin(mg): 0
- Riboflavin(mg): 0
- Niacin(mg): 1
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)(mg): 0
- Folate(µg): 24
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg): 0
- sodium(mg): 61
- Potassium(mg): 43
- calcium(mg): 30
- iron(mg): 1
- Other Carb(d.e): 1
- Fat(d.e): 2
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend* equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour**
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil up over the edges of the pan. Lightly coat foil with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat; remove from heat. Whisk in sugar and the water. Whisk in egg, oil, and vanilla until combined. Stir in 1 cup of the flour and the baking powder until combined. (Batter will be thin at this point.) Place peanut butter in a small bowl; gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of the batter until smooth. Set aside. In another small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour and the cocoa powder. Stir into the plain batter; stir in chocolate pieces. Pour chocolate batter into prepared pan.
3. Drop peanut butter batter in small mounds over chocolate batter in pan. Using a thin metal spatula, swirl batters together. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes* or until top springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Choose from Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking or Sun Crystals® Granulated Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar. Decrease baking time to 15 to 18 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
PER BROWNIE WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as basic recipe, except 140 cal., 13 g carb.
Substitute 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, whole grain oat flour, whole grain corn flour, white bean flour, or soy flour for 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour. Or, substitute 1/2 cup full-fat almond flour for 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour. Or, substitute 1 1/4 cups gluten-free baking mix*** or 1 1/4 cups hi-maize high-fiber flour (King Arthur product) for all of the all-purpose flour. If using two flours, stir them together before using in the recipe.
PER BROWNIE WITH WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR OR WHITE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR: same as basic recipe, except 149 cal., 1 g fiber.
PER BROWNIE WITH WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY FLOUR: same as basic recipe, except 145 cal., 60 mg sodium, 16 g carb., 1 g fiber.
PER BROWNIE WITH WHOLE GRAIN OAT FLOUR: same as basic recipe, except 152 cal., 60 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 4 g pro.
PER BROWNIE WITH WHOLE GRAIN CORN FLOUR: same as basic recipe, except 150 cal., 1 g fiber.
PER BROWNIE WITH WHITE BEAN FLOUR: same as basic recipe, except 150 cal., 60 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 4 g pro.
PER BROWNIE WITH SOY FLOUR: same as basic recipe, except 152 cal., 9 g total fat, 60 mg sodium, 15 g carb., 1 g fiber, 4 g pro.
PER BROWNIE WITH FULL-FAT ALMOND FLOUR: same as basic recipe, except 156 cal., 9 g total fat, 16 g carb., 1 g fiber, 4 g pro.
PER BROWNIE WITH GLUTEN-FREE BAKING MIX: same as basic recipe, except 148 cal., 8 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 60 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.
PER BROWNIE WITH HIGH-MAIZE HIGH-FIBER FLOUR: same as basic recipe, except 145 cal., 8 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 60 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.
***Test Kitchen Tip:
If using the gluten-free baking mix, increase water to 1/2 cup.
Add your rating
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."
Pay $0 for a Full Year + FREE Gift! Order NOW and pay nothing for your second year of Diabetic Living® Magazine! That's 2 full years (8 issues) issues for just $16.00 (plus $3.97 postage and handling), plus you'll get Our Best Diabetic Snack Guide instantly! HURRY this offer won't last! (U.S. orders only)