- Makes: 4 servings
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 17
fresh poblano chile peppers, Anaheim chile peppers,* or green sweet peppers (8 ounces)
shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese (4 ounces)
fresh jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped*
refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed or 6 eggs, beaten
Picante sauce and/or light sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Halve the peppers and remove seeds, stems, and veins. Immerse peppers into boiling water for 3 minutes; drain. Invert peppers on paper towels to drain well. Place one pepper half in each of four greased 12- to 16-ounce au gratin dishes. Top each with cheese and jalapeno pepper.
- In a medium bowl combine egg and milk. Add flour, baking powder, and cayenne pepper. Beat until smooth. Pour egg mixture evenly over peppers and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into the egg mixture comes out clean. Let stand about 5 minutes. If desired, serve with picante sauce and/or sour cream. Makes 4 (1 dish each) servings
- *Test Kitchen Tip: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 203 cal., 5 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 15 mg chol., 470 mg sodium, 17 g carb. (1 g fiber, 2 g sugars), 19 g pro.