Chicken Tostadas with Black Bean Salsa
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- cal.(kcal): 207
- Fat, total(g): 2
- chol.(mg): 39
- carb.(g): 28
- fiber(g): 6
- pro.(g): 23
- sodium(mg): 285
- Vegetables(d.e): 1
- Starch(d.e): 2
- Very Lean Meat(d.e): 3
- 6 6 inches corn tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (14 to 16 ounces total)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
- 1/3 cup light dairy sour cream (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat both sides of tortillas with nonstick cooking spray. Place on baking sheets. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Tortillas will crisp up as they cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet combine broth, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Bring to boiling. Add chicken; return to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Remove from heat. Let chicken cool in the liquid about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. When cool enough to handle, transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred the chicken into large pieces using two forks. Return shredded chicken to the cooking liquid.
3. In a medium bowl combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, snipped cilantro, lime juice, and pepper.
4. Place tortillas on serving plates. Top with lettuce and bean mixture. Using a slotted spoon, spoon chicken atop bean mixture. If desired, garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream and lime wedges. Makes 6 tostadas.
Add your rating
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."
Pay $0 for a Full Year + FREE Gift! Order NOW and pay nothing for your second year of Diabetic Living® Magazine! That's 2 full years (8 issues) issues for just $16.00 (plus $3.97 postage and handling), plus you'll get Our Best Diabetic Snack Guide instantly! HURRY this offer won't last! (U.S. orders only)