Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- cal.(kcal): 231
- Fat, total(g): 8
- chol.(mg): 90
- sat. fat(g): 2
- carb.(g): 2
- Monosaturated fat(g): 2
- Polyunsaturated fat(g): 2
- fiber(g): 6
- pro.(g): 38
- vit. A(IU): 3353
- vit. C(mg): 18
- Thiamin(mg): 0
- Riboflavin(mg): 0
- Niacin(mg): 16
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)(mg): 1
- Folate(µg): 12
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg): 1
- sodium(mg): 334
- Potassium(mg): 647
- calcium(mg): 131
- iron(mg): 6
- Vegetables(d.e): 1
- Medium-Fat Meat(d.e): 5
- 1/4 cup crumbled basil-and-tomato feta cheese (1 ounce)*
- 2 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese (1 ounce)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 pounds total)
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or cooking oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce package prewashed fresh spinach, trimmed (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons walnut or pecan pieces, toasted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Lemon slices, halved (optional)
1. In a small bowl combine feta cheese and cream cheese; set aside. Using a sharp knife, cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff pockets with the cheese mixture. If necessary, secure openings with wooden toothpicks. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt.
2. In a large nonstick skillet cook chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat about 12 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, turning once (reduce heat to medium if chicken browns too quickly). Remove chicken from skillet. Cover and keep warm.
3. Carefully add chicken broth to skillet. Bring to boiling; add half of the spinach. Cover and cook about 3 minutes or just until spinach is wilted. Remove spinach from skillet, reserving liquid in pan. Repeat with remaining spinach. Return all spinach to skillet. Stir in the nuts and lemon juice.
4. To serve, divide spinach mixture among 4 dinner plates. Top with chicken breasts. If desired, garnish with lemon slices. Makes 4 servings.
If basil-and-tomato feta cheese is not available, stir 1 teaspoon finely snipped fresh basil and 1 teaspoon snipped oil-pack dried tomatoes, drained, into 1/4 cup plain feta cheese.
Add your rating
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."
Pay $0 for a Full Year + FREE Gift! Order NOW and pay nothing for your second year of Diabetic Living® Magazine! That's 2 full years (8 issues) issues for just $16.00 (plus $3.97 postage and handling), plus you'll get Our Best Diabetic Snack Guide instantly! HURRY this offer won't last! (U.S. orders only)