German Chocolate Trifle
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- cal.(kcal): 219
- Fat, total(g): 9
- chol.(mg): 35
- sat. fat(g): 5
- carb.(g): 30
- fiber(g): 1
- pro.(g): 4
- sodium(mg): 60
- Other Carb(d.e): 2
- Fat(d.e): 2
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces sweet baking chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute blend* equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons tub-style 60 percent to 70 percent vegetable oil spread
- 1 8 ounce container frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pan; set pan aside. In a small bowl, stir together flour, grated chocolate, cocoa powder, and baking powder; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or until thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed for 4 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture; beat on low to medium speed just until combined.
3. In a small saucepan, combine milk and vegetable oil spread; heat and stir until spread melts. Add milk mixture to egg-flour mixture, beating until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean and top springs back when lightly touched. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Cool completely; cut into 1-inch cubes.
5. Divide half of the cake cubes among twelve 6- to 8-ounce dessert dishes. Top with half of the whipped topping, half of the coconut, and half of the pecans. Repeat layers. Serve immediately or cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours.
Choose Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar.
PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: Same as above, except 200 cal., 24 g carb.
Exchanges: 1.5 other carb.
Carb Choices: 1.5.
Test Kitchen Tip:
To make one large trifle, in a 2-quart trifle dish or clear glass bowl, layer half of the cake cubes, half of the whipped dessert topping, half of the coconut, and half of the pecans. Repeat layers.
Add your rating
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."
Pay $0 for a Full Year + FREE Gift! Order NOW and pay nothing for your second year of Diabetic Living® Magazine! That's 2 full years (8 issues) issues for just $16.00 (plus $3.97 postage and handling), plus you'll get Our Best Diabetic Snack Guide instantly! HURRY this offer won't last! (U.S. orders only)