- Makes: 18 servings
- Serving Size: 1 macaroon each
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 11
cream of tartar
dark chocolate or semisweet chocolate, coarsely grated
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold in 1/2 cup of the coconut and the chocolate.
- Drop mixture into a total of 18 mounds on the prepared cookie sheets, using 2 tablespoons of the egg white mixture for each mound and leaving about 1 inch between the mounds. Sprinkle tops with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Place cookie sheets on separate oven racks. Bake for 15 minutes. Rotate cookie sheets in oven by putting cookie sheet that was on top rack on bottom rack and bottom rack cookie sheet on top rack. Turn off oven; let macaroons dry in oven for 25 minutes. Transfer macaroons to a wire rack and let cool.
- *Sugar Substitutes: We do not recommend using a sugar substitute for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 18
PER SERVING: 72 cal., 3 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 28 mg sodium, 11 g carb. (1 g fiber, 11 g sugars), 1 g pro.