Silky Chocolate Pie
- Makes: 10 servings
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 31
plain low-fat or fat-free yogurt* or 2 cups plain fat-free Greek-style yogurt**
reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
semisweet chocolate, chopped
sugar or sugar substitute*** equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
purchased reduced-fat graham cracker crumb pie shell
frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed (optional)
Chocolate curls (optional)
- For yogurt cheese: Line a yogurt strainer, sieve, or a small colander with three layers of 100%-cotton cheesecloth or a clean paper coffee filter. Suspend lined strainer, sieve, or colander over a large bowl. Spoon yogurt into the strainer, sieve, or colander. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator. Discard liquid. You should have 2 to 2-1/2 cups yogurt cheese. Set yogurt cheese aside.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over the milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Heat and stir milk mixture over low heat just until gelatin is dissolved. Gradually whisk in cream cheese until melted. Add chocolate; heat and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir about one-fourth of the yogurt cheese or Greek-style yogurt into the chocolate mixture until smooth. Fold in the remaining yogurt cheese or Greek-style yogurt. Spread mixture evenly in the pie shell.
- Cover pie loosely and chill in the refrigerator for 3 to 24 hours before serving. Cut into wedges to serve. If desired, top each serving with dessert topping and chocolate curls.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: Be sure to use a brand of yogurt that contains no gums, gelatin, or fillers. These ingredients may prevent the whey from separating from the curd to make yogurt cheese.
- **Test Kitchen Tip: If you use Greek-style yogurt, omit Step 1.
- ***SUGAR SUBSTITUTES: Choose from Splenda® Granular or Sweet 'N Low® bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar.
- ***SUGAR SUBSTITUTES: PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: Same as above, except 201 cal., 23 g carb.
- ***SUGAR SUBSTITUTES: Exchanges: 1 other carb.
- ***SUGAR SUBSTITUTES: Carb choices: 1.5.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 10
PER SERVING: 235 cal., 9 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 9 mg chol., 140 mg sodium, 31 g carb. (1 g fiber, 23 g sugars), 7 g pro.