Cherry Chocolate Bread Puddings
- Makes: 4 servings
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 25
Nonstick cooking spray
firm-textured whole-grain bread cubes (about 3 ounces)
snipped dried tart red cherries
toasted wheat germ
semisweet chocolate pieces
refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
finely shredded orange peel
Frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed (optional)
Unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- Coat four 6-ounce individual souffle dishes or custard cups with cooking spray. Divide bread cubes, cherries, and wheat germ among the dishes.
- In a small saucepan combine milk and chocolate. Cook and stir over low heat until the chocolate melts; remove from heat. If necessary, beat smooth with a wire whisk.
- In a small bowl gradually stir chocolate mixture into egg product. Stir in orange peel and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread cubes in the dishes. Press lightly with back of spoon to thoroughly moisten bread.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops appear firm and a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Serve warm. If desired, serve with whipped topping and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Makes 4 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare as directed through step 3. Cover and chill for up to 2 hours. Continue as directed in step 4 and 5.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 148 cal., 4 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 1 mg chol., 152 mg sodium, 25 g carb. (3 g fiber), 7 g pro.