Egg Drop Soup
- Makes: 4 servings
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 18
egg roll wrapper, cut into thin 1- to 1-1/2-inch-long strips
low-sodium chicken broth
reduced-sodium soy sauce
ground white pepper
frozen baby sweet peas
green onions, bias-sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place egg roll wrapper strips on prepared baking sheet.* Lightly coat strips with cooking spray. Bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until light brown and crisp, stirring once halfway through baking; set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine 5 cups of the broth, the soy sauce, garlic, and white pepper. Bring to boiling.
- To make carrot flowers, using a paring knife or channel knife,** make four or five shallow lengthwise notches around each carrot; thinly slice carrot. (Or, thinly slice carrots; cut each slice with a 1-inch or smaller flower-shape cutter.) Add carrots and peas to boiling broth; return to boiling.
- Stir cornstarch into the remaining 1 cup broth; stir into soup. Reduce heat. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat. Place eggs in a liquid measuring cup; use a fork to beat eggs. While gently stirring the broth, pour eggs in a thin stream into soup (eggs will form fine shreds). Ladle soup into serving bowls. Garnish with green onions. Serve with crisp wrapper strips.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: To make curly strips, shape foil into small logs; place on baking sheet. Drape strips over foil logs. Bake as directed.
- **Test Kitchen Tip: A channel knife is a garnishing tool used to make thin strips of citrus peel and other garnishes.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 186 cal., 5 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 212 mg chol., 559 mg sodium, 18 g carb. (2 g fiber, 4 g sugars), 15 g pro.