Mediterranean Meat Loaf
- Makes: 4 servings
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 8
roasted red peppers, drained
soft whole wheat bread crumbs (about 2 slices)
refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 2 eggs, lightly beaten
purchased tomato sauce
snipped fresh basil
snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
ground black pepper
95 percent-lean ground beef
Snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut 1/4 cup of the roasted peppers into thin strips; reserve for the garnish. Finely chop the remaining roasted peppers. In a large bowl, combine the finely chopped roasted red peppers, the bread crumbs, egg product, tomato sauce, basil, the 1/4 cup parsley, the salt, and black pepper. Add ground beef*; mix well.
- Lightly pat the ground beef mixture into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the meat loaf registers 160 degrees F.* Let stand on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Drain off any fat from meat loaf; loosen meat loaf from sides of pan. Carefully remove meat loaf from pan.
- Reserve and store** one-third of the meat loaf for the Spaghetti with Meat Loaf Sauce recipe. Garnish remaining meat loaf with the reserved 1/4 cup roasted red peppers and additional parsley. Slice to serve. Makes 4 servings, plus enough reserved meat loaf for Spaghetti with Meat Loaf Sauce
- *Test Kitchen Tip: The internal color of a meat loaf or meatball is not a reliable doneness indicator. A beef meat loaf or meatball cooked to 160 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a meat loaf or meatball, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of the loaf or ball.
- ** Place the reserved cooked meat loaf or the meatballs in an airtight container. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- * You can substitute lean ground bison (buffalo) in place of ground beef.
- Mediterranean Meatballs: Mediterranean Meatballs (for Mediterranean Pita Melts and Meatball Lasagna): Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare meat mixture as above through step 1. Shape meat mixture into 48 meatballs. Place meatballs in a foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until done (160 degrees F).* Transfer meatballs to a tray. Use meatballs to make the Mediterranean Pita Melts and the Meatball Lasagna. Use the 1/4 cup reserved roasted red peppers to garnish the Mediterranean Pita Melts.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 256 cal., 8 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 94 mg chol., 449 mg sodium, 8 g carb. (2 g fiber), 36 g pro.