Red Grape-Raspberry Pie
- Makes: 10 servings
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 36
packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute* blend equivalent to 1/2 cup brown sugar
balsamic vinegar, port wine, or grape juice
seedless red grapes, halved (about 2 pounds)
frozen or fresh red raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil; set aside. For filling: In a 4-quart Dutch oven, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and vinegar. Add grapes. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Gently stir in raspberries. Transfer filling to a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Place pie plate on prepared baking sheet.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten Pastry Dough ball. Using a rolling pin, roll dough from center to edges to 1/8-inch thickness. Using 1-1/2- to 2-inch leaf-shape cutters, cut out dough, leaving as little space between cutouts as possible. Arrange leaf cutouts atop grape filling. (If desired, reroll and cut out the pastry scraps.)
- In a small bowl, use a fork to beat together egg white and the water. Brush pastry cutouts lightly with egg white mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- *Sugar Substitute: Choose Splenda® Brown Sugar Baking Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- *Sugar Substitute: PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: Same as above, except 176 cal., 125 mg sodium, 30 g carb. Exchanges: 1.5 other carb. Carb Choices: 2
white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour
60 to 70% tub-style vegetable oil spread, chilled
- 3 - 4
- In a medium bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in chilled 60 to 70% tub-style vegetable oil spread until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 10
PER SERVING: 194 cal., 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 128 mg sodium, 36 g carb. (2 g fiber, 20 g sugars), 3 g pro.