Pork and Green Chile Stew
- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: 1 1/2cup
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 34
poblano chile peppers* or 2 green sweet peppers
lean boneless pork shoulder
finely chopped fresh jalapeno pepper*
dried oregano, crushed, or 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano
red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
snipped fresh cilantro
Lime wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. To roast poblano or sweet peppers, halve peppers and remove stems, seeds, and membranes.* Place peppers, cut sides down, on prepared baking sheet. Roast about 20 minutes or until skins are bubbly and browned. Wrap peppers in the foil; let stand for 20 to 25 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a paring knife, pull the skins off gently and slowly. Coarsely chop peppers. Reduce oven to 325 degrees F.
- Trim fat from pork. Cut pork into bite-size pieces. In a Dutch oven, combine roasted peppers, pork, onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt, and dried oregano (if using). Cover and bake in the 325 degree F oven for 45 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Stir in zucchini and corn. Cover and bake about 15 minutes more or until pork and vegetables are tender. Stir in cilantro and fresh oregano (if using). If desired, serve stew with lime wedges. 8 (1-1/2-cup) servings.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 269 cal., 6 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 55 mg chol., 377 mg sodium, 34 g carb. (5 g fiber), 22 g pro.