- Makes: 6 servings
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 28
eggs, slightly beaten
ounce can (1 1/2 cups)
Fresh fruit (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. To caramelize sugar: In 8-inch heavy skillet, cook 1/3 cup sugar over medium-high heat until sugar starts to melt, shaking skillet occasionally to heat sugar evenly. Do not stir. Once sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low. Cook about 5 minutes or until all of the sugar is melted and golden brown, stirring as needed with wooden spoon.
- Immediately divide caramelized sugar among six 6-ounce custard cups; tilt cups to coat bottoms evenly. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine eggs, evaporated milk, 1/3 cup sugar, and vanilla.
- Place custard cups in 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Divide egg mixture among custard cups. Place baking pan on oven rack. Pour hottest tap water available into baking pan around custard cups to a depth of about 1/2 inch.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center of each flan comes out clean. Remove or cups from water. Cool on wire rack. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- To unmold, loosen edges of flans with knife, slipping point between flans and side of custard cups. Invert dessert plate over each flan; turn plate and custard cup over together. Remove cups from flans. Spoon any caramelized sugar that remains in cups on top. If desired, serve with fresh fruit. Makes 6 individual flan cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 202 cal., 7 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 123 mg chol., 92 mg sodium, 28 g carb. 7 g pro.