Spiced Orange Custards
- Makes: 4 servings
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 15
sugar or sugar substitute equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar*
finely shredded orange peel
refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 3 eggs, beaten
Finely shredded orange peel (optional)
- In a microwave-safe 4-cup glass measure, combine milk, sugar, vanilla, the 1/2 teaspoon orange peel, and the nutmeg, stirring to dissolve sugar. Microwave, uncovered, on 100-percent power (high) for 2-1/2 to 5 minutes or until steaming and foamy but not boiling** (about 180 degrees F), stirring once.
- Gradually stir all of the hot mixture into egg. Pour into four 6-ounce microwave-safe custard cups set in a microwave-safe 2-quart square baking dish.
- In the same 4-cup glass measure, heat the water, uncovered, on 100-percent power (high) about 3 minutes or until boiling. Pour the boiling water into the baking dish around the custard cups.
- Microwave custards, uncovered, on 100-percent power (high) for 4 to 7 minutes or until edges are set but centers still quiver, carefully rotating the cups after every minute and removing each custard when edge is set. Remove custards from baking dish.
- Let stand, uncovered, on a wire rack about 15 minutes or until centers are set.
- Serve warm or chilled. To serve, if desired, unmold custards onto four dessert plates. If desired, garnish with additional shredded orange peel. Makes 4 servings.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: If using a sugar substitute, we recommend Splenda® Granular, Sweet 'N Low® packets, or Sweet 'N Low® bulk. Be sure to use package directions to determine product amount equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar.
- *Test Kitchen Tip:
- *Test Kitchen Tip: Nutrition Facts with sugar substitute: 57 cal., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 2 mg chol., 129 mg sodium, 7 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 8 g pro. Exchanges: 0.5 milk, 0.5 very lean meat. Carb choices: 0.5
- **Test Kitchen Tip: Watch closely as mixture will foam up if cooked too long.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 92 cal., 2 mg chol., 129 mg sodium, 15 g carb. 8 g pro.