Cranberry Whole Wheat Scones
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- cal.(kcal): 169
- Fat, total(g): 6
- chol.(mg): 15
- sat. fat(g): 3
- carb.(g): 26
- fiber(g): 2
- pro.(g): 4
- sodium(mg): 172
- Fruit(d.e): 1
- Starch(d.e): 1
- Other Carb(d.e): 1
- Fat(d.e): 1
- Carb Choice(d.e): 2
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries or dried currants
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F. In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar or substitute, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg slightly; stir in the 1/3 cup buttermilk and cranberries. Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (some of the dough may look dry).
3. Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth. Pat or light roll dough to an 8-inch circle about 3/4 inch thick. Brush top with additional buttermilk; sprinkle with oats, pressing gently into dough. Cut into 12 wedges.
4. Place dough wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until edges are light browned. Serve warm. Makes 12 scones.
Choose from Splenda Granular, Equal Spoonful or packets, and Sweet 'N Low packets or bulk. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 3 tablespoon sugar.
Add your rating
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."
Pay $0 for a Full Year + FREE Gift! Order NOW and pay nothing for your second year of Diabetic Living® Magazine! That's 2 full years (8 issues) issues for just $16.00 (plus $3.97 postage and handling), plus you'll get Our Best Diabetic Snack Guide instantly! HURRY this offer won't last! (U.S. orders only)