Salmon and Spinach Salad with Flaxseed Dressing
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 1/2cups
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 6
cooked salmon,* broken into chunks
fresh baby spinach
coarsely chopped cucumbers
quartered red onion slices
Flaxseed Dressing (below)
- In a large bowl, combine cooked salmon, spinach, cucumbers, and red onion. Pour Flaxseed Dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Makes 4 (1-1/2-cup) main-dish servings.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: Cook the salmon by grilling or broiling. You'll need a 1-pound fresh or frozen salmon fillet to give 12 ounces salmon after cooking. Thaw salmon, if frozen. Rinse salmon; pat dry with paper towels.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: To grill salmon: Measure thickness of salmon. Place salmon fillet, skin side down, on a greased grill rack directly over medium coals. Grill for 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness of fish or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, turning once halfway through grilling. Using a wide metal spatula, lift fillet away from the skin to a serving platter. (Scrape skin from grill rack and discard.)
- *Test Kitchen Tip: To broil salmon: Preheat broiler. Skin salmon; measure thickness of salmon. Place salmon on unheated rack of broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness of fish or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, turning once halfway through broiling.
champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
finely chopped shallots or green onion
clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place flaxseeds in a shallow baking pan; bake for 10 minutes. Cool. Place toasted flaxseeds in a spice grinder and pulse until ground to a fine powder. In a small bowl, whisk together ground flaxseeds, vinegar, olive oil, water, shallots, mustard, and garlic. Makes about 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 239 cal., 15 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 54 mg chol., 102 mg sodium, 6 g carb. (1 g fiber), 20 g pro.