Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- cal.(kcal): 249
- Fat, total(g): 5
- chol.(mg): 129
- sat. fat(g): 1
- carb.(g): 30
- pro.(g): 19
- sodium(mg): 372
- Starch(d.e): 2
- Very Lean Meat(d.e): 2
- Fat(d.e): 1
- 1 pound fresh or frozen shrimp in shells
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine, dry sherry, or water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or cooking oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups rice noodles or hot cooked rice
- 2 small fresh red chile peppers (such as Fresno or Thai), sliced* (optional)
1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp; cut in half lengthwise. Rinse; shrimp pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
2. For sauce, in a small bowl, stir together the 3 tablespoons water, ketchup, soy sauce, rice wine, cornstarch, honey, ground ginger (if using), and crushed red pepper. Set aside.
3. Pour oil into a large skillet or wok. Heat over medium-high heat. Add green onions, garlic, and grated fresh ginger (if using); stir-fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add shrimp. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque; push to side of skillet or wok. Stir sauce; add to center of skillet or wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve with rice noodles or rice. If desired, garnish with sliced red chile peppers. Makes 4 servings.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Add your rating
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."
Pay $0 for a Full Year + FREE Gift! Order NOW and pay nothing for your second year of Diabetic Living® Magazine! That's 2 full years (8 issues) issues for just $16.00 (plus $3.97 postage and handling), plus you'll get Our Best Diabetic Snack Guide instantly! HURRY this offer won't last! (U.S. orders only)