Sloppy Pizza Joes
- Makes: 16 servings
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 27
Nonstick cooking spray
uncooked ground turkey breast
frozen stir-fry vegetables (yellow, red, and green peppers and onions), thawed and drained
no-salt-added tomato paste (1/3 cup)
whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted*
part-skim mozzarella cheese, halved
- Coat a very large skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Cook half of the turkey at a time in hot skillet until turkey is no longer pink, stirring to break apart turkey as it cooks. In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker stir together turkey, pizza sauce, vegetables, and tomato paste.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup turkey mixture onto each bun bottom. Top each with a half-slice cheese and bun top.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: To toast buns, arrange split buns, cut sides up, on an unheated broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted.
- For easy cleanup: Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 16
PER SERVING: 276 cal., 4 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 63 mg chol., 438 mg sodium, 27 g carb. (3 g fiber, 6 g sugars), 30 g pro.