Provencal Vegetable Stew
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- cal.(kcal): 227
- Fat, total(g): 5
- chol.(mg): 4
- sat. fat(g): 1
- carb.(g): 41
- Monosaturated fat(g): 2
- Polyunsaturated fat(g): 1
- fiber(g): 10
- sugar(g): 8
- pro.(g): 12
- sodium(mg): 424
- Vegetables(d.e): 3
- Starch(d.e): 2
- 2 baby eggplants or 1 very small eggplant (about 8 oz.)
- 1 large zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 15 - 19 ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary or thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon white or regular balsamic vinegar
- 4 1/2-inch slices baguette-style French bread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese
1. If desired, peel eggplant. Cut eggplant into 3/4-inch pieces (you should have about 3 cups).
2. In 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, cannellini beans, tomato, garlic, rosemary, pepper, and dried basil, if using. Add tomato juice.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Stir in fresh basil, if using, and balsamic vinegar.Meanwhile, for croutons::
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush bread slices with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the Romano cheese. Place bread slices on baking sheet. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until toasted.
5. To serve, ladle vegetable mixture into bowls. Top with croutons and sprinkle with remaining Romano cheese. Makes 4 (1-1/2 cup) servings.
Add your rating
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."
Pay $0 for a Full Year + FREE Gift! Order NOW and pay nothing for your second year of Diabetic Living® Magazine! That's 2 full years (8 issues) issues for just $16.00 (plus $3.97 postage and handling), plus you'll get Our Best Diabetic Snack Guide instantly! HURRY this offer won't last! (U.S. orders only)