Mock Noodle Kugel
- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: 1/2cup
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 8
Nonstick cooking spray
2 1/2 -
eggs, lightly beaten*
egg whites, lightly beaten*
ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 1-1/2-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds and strings. Place one half, cut side down, in a microwave-safe baking dish. Using a fork, prick the skin all over. Microwave on 100-percent power (high) for 6 to 7 minutes or until tender; carefully remove from baking dish. Repeat with the other half. (Or place both halves, cut sides down, in a shallow baking pan and bake about 40 minutes or until tender.) Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until the onion starts to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Use a fork to scrape all the flesh out of the spaghetti squash (hold the squash with hot pads if necessary). Place squash flesh in a large bowl. Cool slightly. Add onion mixture, eggs, egg whites, salt, and pepper. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour contents of bowl into the prepared casserole. Bake about 35 minutes or until set. Cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm. (The kugel may water out slightly when served.) Makes 8 (about 1/2 cup) servings.
- Sweet Kugel: Omit the oil, onion, garlic, and pepper. Prepare as directed through step 2. Continue as directed in steps 4 and 5, except mix in 1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute** equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and the salt in step 4.
- Sweet Kugel: PER SERVING: 79 cal., 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 53 mg chol., 121 mg sodium, 14 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 3 g pro. Exchanges: 1.5 vegetable, 0.5 carbohydrate. Carb choices: 1.
- *Test Kitchen Tip: If desired, substitute 3/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, for the whole eggs and egg whites.
- **Sugar Substitutes: Choose from Splenda® Granular or Sweet 'N Low® bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar.
- **Sugar Substitutes: PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 55 cal., 8 g carbo. Exchanges: 0 carbohydrate. Carb choices: 0.5.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 74 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 53 mg chol., 122 mg sodium, 8 g carb. 3 g pro.